Flusser 100 Festival
To receive updates about the festival please contact us
Flusser 100 Festival
Come celebrate the work and life of Vilém Flusser on the occasion of his 100th birthday with a centennial week of philosophical discussions, exhibitions and performances in Robion and the surrounding area of the Provence in southeastern France, Flusser‘s selected place of residence from the mid 1970s.
CURRENT CALL: Flusser 100 DAAD Summer School May 4-13 2020 // Application until March 5 2020
At the interface between science, art and media literacy, we want to reprocess Flusser's work for the here and now.
We encourage all Flusserians and thinkers of communication, language and technology to join us to discuss, explore and enjoy Flusser's work and legacy.
The Flusser 100 Festival Robion is a collaboration of the Association Cavaillon Luberon Provence (ACLP), West Den Haag and the Flusser Club e.V., supported by the Vilém Flusser Archive and the dedicated community around the Flusser Studies.
During the first 2 weeks, and maybe more, of May 2020 we will be convening in Robion, Luberon, France, where Vilém Flusser spent the most productive years of his life, to celebrate his 100th birthday.
Flusser moved to Provence in 1975 at the suggestion of his good friend Louis Bec, and would spend the next 16 years there, finally settling down and writing most of his most famous books. Flusser and Bec, now neighbours, would see each other for dinner once a week, their intense and extensive conversations contributing to Bec's ISRP (Institut Scientifique de Recherche Paranaturaliste) and the book Vampyrotheutis Infernalis.
Certain activities have already been planned and organizers and coordinators will be on site in Robion for much of the first half of May 2020, with the big celebration taking place on Viléms 100th birthday on May 12th.
We have arranged with local partners Association Cavaillon Luberon Provence (ACLP) to help anyone who needs accomodation find the right place for their budget. Additionally ACLP will be on site to help with arranging travel to Robion from Avignon (34km) Marseille (80km) or Cavaillon (10km). If you intend to join us in Robion for the Flusser 100 Festival use this form to inform us whether you need any assistance for travel and accommodations, or whether you would like to present something special!
Already on the program:
- Vilém Flusser DAAD Summer School Project in Robion, organized by and with Ulrich Richtmeyer (FH Potsdam), Katerina Krtilova (ZHdK) and Baruch Gottlieb (UdK Berlin/BTU Cottbus/West Den Haag), 4 - 13 May 2020
- Special session on Gestures with Katerina Krtilová and Dieter Mersch (ZHdK Zürich)
- Flusser symposium: Open Call for Contributions // 15 February
- a series of discussions on Flusserian themes related to our contemporary technological condition
- public lectures by Katerina Krtilová, Dieter Mersch, Baruch Gottlieb, Polona Tratnik and any more!
- perforance lecture by Jürgen Claus
- machine performance by Wolfgang Spahn
- revisiting the "Spaziergang" from "Flussers Fluss" video with Michael Bielicki
- commemoration of the friendship between Vilém Flusser and Louis Bec (also commemorating the friendship between the Flusser and Bec Families)
- exhibition featuring work, correspondence and other documentation of the Flusser/Bec friendship
- : experimental transmissions on the air and in the network, by Monai da Paula Antunes
- an opportunity for Flusserians from all around the world to meet and exchange